Our military has been stretched pretty thin lately with so many deployments. I don't always agree with military intervention in foreign affairs (Constitutionally, war should be declared by congress, not the president.), but at times war is necessary for the preservation of liberty. I have great admiration for my husband and other veterans who have put the cause of liberty before their own personal safety and affluence. Today I have two opportunities for you to help our military heroes.
1) Our active-duty military men and women deserve the opportunity to cast their ballots in a constitutional manner. Oppose the President's lawsuit against military voting rights by signing the petition here put forth by the American Center for Law and Justice (NOT to be confused with the ACLU!) If a state legislature makes a decision, it should stand. The federal government should not interfere with state decisions. Read more about it here.
2) I am a board member of American Soldier Inc, a newly started non-profit organization seeking to serve homeless and at risk veterans. We realize the great usefulness of social media to get our message out to help these men and women who have sacrificed so much for our country. Can you help? Please visit our Facebook Page and hit the "like" button and then "share" the page with your friends and encourage them to do so as well! Our immediate goal is 10,000 likes. Thank you for your help!
What is American Soldier Inc?
Our mission is to unceasingly endeavor to better the lives of homeless and at risk veterans who have fought to defend our freedom.
American Soldier Inc. is a nonprofit 501c3 organization devoted to serving honorably discharged American veterans through its comprehensive approach of assisting them in overcoming the complex social conditions that affect them.
Through its comprehensive approach of assisting veterans in overcoming the complex social conditions that affect them, American Soldier Inc. will strive to:
* Provide refuge to homeless veterans and therapeutic healing to those in need of such assistance. Therapy will address issues such as post traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), military sexual trauma (MST), drug/alcohol abuse, difficulties associated with transitioning from military to civilian life etc. Refuge will be available for both male and female veterans, and veterans with a spouse and/or children.
* Provide transitional housing to veterans as they complete their individualized treatment plan.
* Provide life-skills training that will enable veterans to overcome the complex social issues that negatively impact their lives.
* Provide financial-skill training.
* Provide assisted-living opportunities to frail/elderly veterans and their spouses.
* Develop a profit-generating arm that provides employment opportunities for all veterans with the ultimate goal of becoming self-sustaining.
* Provide employment counseling and placement services.
* Establish working relationships with government and private organizations that address similar issues. Services not performed by American Soldier Inc. will be fulfilled by collaborating organizations.
* Provide transportation to VAMC appointments, job interviews etc.
Although accurate counts are impossible to calculate, Veterans Affairs estimates that 107,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. Over the course of a year, approximately twice that many experience homelessness. Approximately 1.5 million other veterans, meanwhile, are considered at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks,and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing. Complex factors such as extreme shortages of affordable housing, livable income and access to health care are influences of all homelessness. In addition, a large number of displaced and at-risk veterans live with lingering affects of post traumatic stress disorder and substance abuse, which are compounded by lack of family and social support networks.
The United States is an exceptional nation significantly due to the efforts of the brave men and women who have served in our military. We at American Soldier Inc. love the United States of America and have a profound appreciation for the heroes who have selflessly and honorably protected us from the inherent dangers that exist in our world.
To anyone reading this who is currently serving in the military or is one of our veterans, we want you to know that we love and appreciate you! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY!